Social Engineering COVID-19 Scam
I would like to take this opportunity to alert my friends on Facebook to please be aware of some of the Facebook posts you comment on especially now while the world seems to be at a standstill.
- What was your favorite teacher's name?
- Who was your 1st grade teacher?
- Who was your childhood best friend?
- What was your first car?etc.
They can then build a profile of you and use this information to hack your accounts or open up new lines of credit in your name. Not all of these on Facebook are scams. However, it is best to remain vigilant and refrain from participating in such activities as there is no way to tell which ones may have been created by scammers. Some of you don't like participating in chain messages but this may be one in disguise.
Also make sure to check your photos published to Facebook as they too can have identifiable information. An example would be a picture of your college degree or your kids degree.
Help researchers help you!
- Share your opinion as your voice matters
- Help us understand everyone’s experience
- No bias, just science
- Help us improve future responses